Friday 28 November 2008

TardyPoker.Com













Now we all love bad players don’t we, we never berate there bad play (eye’s roll) instead we cuddle them and nurture them, we try to encourage them to keep playing, In fact we just wish we could take them home with us and protect them from the other sharks out there, so we can eat them ourselves.

There are players out ion the interweb that I just wish I could clone and then create my own poker room with hundred’s of versions of them. I’d call it TardyPoker and wouldn’t let any of you play because I’m a selfish, greedy bastard. The thing is though many of us forget that bad players require us to make big adjustments to our own game and this is something we have to take full responsibility for.

If your opponent isn’t folding when he hits any part of the flop you will have to control pots from the flop onward much better with hands that we might play faster against a better opponent. For example it might be reasonable to commit all your chips with top pair against a flush draw whilst playing a decent opponent, we are after all a 60-40 favourite in most cases and this might well be the best opportunity we get.

But why play the hand to get all the chips in on the flop against a weak player who will give you a number of better spots to win the match? It doesn’t make any sense, now I’m not opposed to calling a shove in this spot, I believe in HUP to abide to the rule of volume and if we are in this spot all day long we are going to make money. I just mean that we should control the size of the pot better to the turn then commit our opponent on turn or river if we like that card.

The thing to remember is that bad players are bad players; they make mistakes that ensure we maintain equity in matches when we shouldn’t have. They miss tons of value bets and they pay too much too often. I played a hand last night where I flopped top pair and let him bet me to the river, on the river he makes second pair and on a non threatening board bets 200 into a 800 chip pot after making bottom two, was awful play and left me get away so cheaply. Within 5 hands I had turned the deficit and won not long after, I could have jammed the flop with top pair top kicker, he would probable have called with second pair and I would have lost.

I knew he sucked hairy nuts so did not want to give him a chance to get lucky, I felt I would win at a canter if we just played through a lot of streets. So few players are used to getting past a flop as most tournaments they play online are 1500 three bets and your in tournament so this is an edge HUP players develop quickly with not that much practise.

PS

I’m having some problems with closing out opponents and seem to be getting ranges wrong when I have my opponent on the ropes, any advice would be greatfully accepted.



No comments: